250 gms cottage cheese (cut in cubes)
3 tbsp clarified butter
1 inch piece of ginger (finely chopped)
1 green chili (slit lengthwise)
1 onion (grated)
4 tomatoes (chopped)
2 brown cardamoms (crushed)
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup beaten curd
30 gms melon seeds or 2 tblsp cashew nut paste
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1/4 – 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
How To Make Shahi Paneer:
• Soak the melon seeds or cashew nuts which ever you are taking for atleast 2 hrs and then grind them to a smooth paste.
• Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a kadai, add onion, ginger, green chili and brown cardamoms. Cook till onion turns translucent. Add tomatoes, cover it and cook for 7-8 minute.
• Add curd and cashew nut or melon seeds paste. Cook for 3-4 minute and remove from fire.
• Cool down the above ingredients and put them in a grinder along with 1/2 cup of water. Strain the puree.
• Take a frying pan, add 1 tbsp of ghee and add the above pureed paste and cook for 10 minutes on low flame till oil separates.
• Add salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, garam masala and tomato sauce. Add enough water so that there can be thick gravy.
• Keep on low flame and cook for 5-7 minute. Remove from fire.
• At the time of serving heat the gravy and add paneer pieces.
• Add milk and mix well and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Note: To make the dish more creamier you can replace milk with 1/4 cup cream.
• Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.