450gms /1lb shelled Mutter (green peas)
250gms / ½ paneer
2 medium onions (chopped)
6 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tbsp grated ginger
2 green chilies (chopped)
250gms / 1/2 lb tomatoes (peeled and sliced)
Salt To Taste
1cup curd / plain yogurt
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander seeds
4 bay leaves
2 cups water
1/2 cup ghee / vegetable oil
To Garnish :
Garam masala powder
Chopped coriander leaves
How to make mattar paneer:
• Make a paste by grinding together half the onions, the garlic and coriander seeds.
• Heat the ghee in a frying pan and cut the paneer into 2.5-cm/1-inch cubes. Fry the paneer to a light brown and remove to drain on a plate.
• Add the remaining onion and the ginger to the ghee / oil in a pan and add the bay leaves and fry until the onion is golden brown.
• Add the turmeric and the paste mixture and fry until the ghee starts to separate.
• Add the paneer and mutter (peas) along with the yogurt, chili, tomato and salt. Stir for 5-6 minutes over low heat.
• Pour in the water and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Serve the matar paneer sprinkled with garam masala and coriander.